“Research suggests that over average, white teachers tend to label black students as lazy more often than their white peers. In turn, black kids are labeled more hyperactive, more defiant, and ultimately, more likely to have ADHD.” While the topic of...
“Research suggests that over average, white teachers tend to label black students as lazy more often than their white peers. In turn, black kids are labeled more hyperactive, more defiant, and ultimately, more likely to have ADHD.” While the topic of ADHD is a tricky subject, it is clear that it needs to be addressed. In today’s episode, host DJ D-Rich sits down with Dr. Brandi Bolling, child psychiatrist for an in-depth discussion about ADHD and how it affects black kids.
According to Dr. Bolling, 33% of all children with ADHD will drop out of high school and less than 5% will complete college. It is more important than ever that we are properly diagnosing and treating our children. While raising your child, Dr. Bolling suggests paying attention to early warning signs like procrastination, mood swings, or being easily distracted. The earlier we can get treatment for these children, the more likely they are to succeed.
Tune into this week’s episode of Southern Soul Live Stream to learn more about what the three types of ADHD are, how to recognize the symptoms, and how you can help your child with ADHD find success both in the classroom and in life.
• “If you were to look at a child with ADHD and then look at the parents, about 41% of dads and 31% of moms are going to have ADHD as well.” (05:28-05:38)
• “It is absolutely important to recognize the signs and then to get treatment.” (08:18-08:24)
• “Every single thing we do requires us to focus and if you're not able to do that, you may be successful but not reach your full potential.” (12:02-12:11)
• “Black children, especially black boys, are much more likely to be diagnosed with a disruptive behavior disorder instead of ADHD.” (14:04-14:14)
• “The goal of treating ADHD is to make it so that that child doesn't look any different from anyone else. But it's hard to get people to understand that the treatment really normalizes them.” (27:01-27:17)
• “What has been consistently shown to be effective in treating ADHD is medication.” (31:15-31:21)
Connect with Dr. Brandi Bolling:
• To receive a FREE video with 7 Tips for Success In the Classroom: https://adhdsuccess.me
• Dr Brandi is Live on Fridays at Noon Central: https://www.facebook.com/DrBrandiB
• To purchase, SHINE: Understanding ADHD So Your Child Can Be A Star!: www.ShineADHDBook.shop
• To learn more about Dr Brandi and her services: www.DrBrandiB.com
About Southern Soul Thursdays - @SoulThursdays
Witty, thought-provoking, and uplifting, Southern Soul Livestream - Podshow is the program that you’ll invite friends over to watch every week, where you’ll learn about fascinating speakers and get to share in exciting experiences. Tune in each Thursday at 8 pm eastern at SoulThursdays.com to connect with guests from across the generations and to laugh with our "cast of characters," hosts who are as charming as they are talented!
Connect with us
Here are some great episodes to start with. Or, check out episodes by topic.