As the oldest of five children growing up in inner city Detroit, Attorney Kevin Jones learned early on how to defend and protect his siblings from the harsh outside world. It is this passion for defending others that sparked his interest in becoming an a...
As the oldest of five children growing up in inner city Detroit, Attorney Kevin Jones learned early on how to defend and protect his siblings from the harsh outside world. It is this passion for defending others that sparked his interest in becoming an attorney. Throughout his legal career, Kevin has made it his mission to ensure that he properly informs clients of their rights and responsibly guides them through complex legal issues. In today’s episode, your host DJ D-Rich is joined in conversation with Kevin Jones, divorce and family lawyer, to discuss how fathers can better navigate the complications of a child custody case.
If there was one thing Kevin would tell anybody, it’s that hurt feelings should never be the driving force behind your child custody case. He strongly suggests processing these emotions and feelings prior to seeking custody. Neither your lawyer nor the judge feels the way you do about the mother of your child, and they are trained to sense motivating factors. Kevin warns that by bringing anger, resentment or any other negative emotion into a courtroom, you run the risk of consequences such as a loss of time, money and potentially custody.
Kevin would advise any father battling for custody to keep trying and never give up. When it comes time to face a judge, they will make their decision based on the best interest of the child. Therefore, it is important that you do everything in your power to demonstrate effort before you go to court. Kevin explains that you can build credibility as a father by taking a parenting class, paying child support and showing up for your child as much as you can because you can never get that time back.
Having a divided family is never easy, but at the end of the day, it is important to remember that the well-being of your child comes first. Join your host and Attorney Kevin Jones on this week’s episode of Southern Soul Live Stream to learn how to overcome the adversities of a child custody case, so you can win more time with your kid and be the best father you can be.
• “The biggest lesson that I learned and I've carried forth in my practice is that I have a duty and a responsibility to give back and not just focus on my selfish needs.” (05:49-05:56)
• “I see that so often fathers don't have the knowledge that's truly necessary to establish and build those connections. It's not like they don't want to or they don’t have a desire to, but for whatever reason, they haven't been able to make that connection.” (11:44-12:05)
•“The judge presiding over your case does not share the same feelings you have about the other parent….If you take past hurts and scars into the courtroom with you, a judge is likely question whether you really have the child’s best interest in mind.” (14:41-15:01)
• “You have to realize that the anger and the hurt feelings that came from that relationship cannot be the driving force behind you seeking custody of your child.” (15:17-15:34)
• “You gotta keep trying. Don't let that time go by because that time that you're missing with your child, you can't make that up.” (30:36-30:46)
Connect with Kevin Jones:
• Website: http://www.kejlegaljustice.com/index.html
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kejlegaljustice
Connect with Southern Soul Live Stream:
• Want to listen to our next episode live? Click here to register.
• Website: www.SoulLiveStream.com
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SouthernSoulLiveStream/
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/southern_soul_livestream/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/soul_livestream