When it comes to finances and estate planning, many people feel behind. While these can be daunting topics of discussion, it is important, no matter your age or what you own, to have a plan in place. In today’s episode, host D–Rich is joined in conversat...
When it comes to finances and estate planning, many people feel behind. While these can be daunting topics of discussion, it is important, no matter your age or what you own, to have a plan in place. In today’s episode, host D–Rich is joined in conversation with Latavia Alexander and Bahiyah Shabazz for an in-depth conversation about financial building and legacy planning.
According to the guests, the first step towards anything is education. The more knowledge you have, the better decisions you can make for yourself and your loved ones. Rather than believing everything you see online, it is important to seek counsel from a professional. Despite popular belief, estate planning and investing is for everyone. No matter who you are, you have something worth saving, and having a plan in place can protect you and your family.
Tune into this week’s episode of Southern Soul Live Stream to learn more about the importance of education, community, and the fundamentals of estate planning and investing so you can increase your knowledge to build and protect your legacy for generations to come.
• “I like to refer to the Advanced Medical Directive and the Power of Attorney as more of life documents because they apply while we're still living.” (10:07-10:14 | Latavia Alexander)
• “A lot of people don't know that you can add a payable on death to your bank account so when you pass away, the money is essentially released to your beneficiary.” (15:10-15:23 | Latavia Alexander)
• “What we do now can lighten the load later.” (16:15-16:18 | Latavia Alexander)
• “My hope is that people realize legacy planning is something that we do need to do and that we can do because we have things that are worth saving.” (18:33-18:39 | Latavia Alexander)
• “One of the reasons it's important to plan is because even if we don’t plan, the state has already created a plan for you. Every state has something called the intestate succession act and it essentially spells out who gets what in what percentages if you die without a will.” (20:19-20:34 | Latavia Alexander)
• “Money is a tool to get to where we want.” (23:51-23:53 | Bahiyah Shabazz)
• “One of our challenges as a community is that we believe we must earn a lot of money in order to invest. We are not aware that we can invest as small as $1 $5 or $50.” (32:33-32:42 | Bahiyah Shabazz)
• “I want to make sure that whoever is part of Brown Girls Do Invest understands their worth. And understand that all they have to do is change their mindset and create a budget that includes how much they're going to contribute towards their investments.” (36:34-36:52 | Bahiyah Shabazz)
• “What a lot of investors do not realize is that you are the one that controls this market.” (38:11-38:17 | Bahiyah Shabazz)
• “Make sure you're always learning and make sure you actually implement what you learn.” (40:17-40:21 | Bahiyah Shabazz)
Connect with Latavia Alexander, Esq.:
• Website: http://www.bahiyahshabazz.com/
• Brown Girls Do Invest - http://www.browngirlsdoinvest.com/ • Women Building Wealth (2nd ed) - https://www.amazon.com/Women-Building-Wealth-financial-wellness/dp/B08P3PC4S9
• Decimalytics Financial Advisory- https://www.decimalytics.com/
Connect with Bahiyah Shabazz, MBA:
• Website: https://lalegalsolutionz.com/
Connect with Southern Soul Live Stream:
• Want to listen to our next episode live? Click here to register.
• Website: www.SoulLiveStream.com
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SouthernSoulLiveStream/
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/southern_soul_livestream/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/soul_livestream