Black couples are increasingly looking towards the great outdoors to relax and spend time together, and so are other individuals who love nature and value privacy. With that in mind, it’s always important to consider the safety and comfort of yoursel...
Black couples are increasingly looking towards the great outdoors to relax and spend time together, and so are other individuals who love nature and value privacy. With that in mind, it’s always important to consider the safety and comfort of yourself and your partner when getting ready to go camping as a black couple. Luckily, there are plenty of solutions that will make your trip to nature more comfortable than ever before! Here are some tips on how to prepare yourself, mentally and physically, for camping as a black couple.
- Be Prepared The most important tip is to be prepared. This includes packing enough food and water, clothes, camping supplies and other camping essentials in order to stay safe and comfortable. When it comes to safety, you want to be sure that you are well-prepared when venturing into unfamiliar territory. It’s also good to make sure that your campsite is off of public land so no strangers will disturb your peace during your trip.
- Familiarize Yourself With the Area Whether you’re camping near your home, or in an area you’ve never visited before, it’s important to familiarize yourself with your surroundings. Many popular camping destinations have local sites that feature discounts on supplies and food. You should be aware of these options beforehand so that you don’t find yourself paying more than necessary. It also helps to research where each site is located in order to plan out your route accordingly.
- Dress Appropriately In general, darker colors absorb more heat, so if you’re going to wear black, choose lightweight materials that can breathe (polyester or rayon are good options). You might also want to invest in some high-quality sunscreen—and not just because you’ll look cool. Although skin pigment helps protect against UV rays from damaging DNA within your skin cells, certain sections of your body (including your lips and ears) aren’t protected by melanin and are therefore more vulnerable.
- Talk About It We all know that camping with your significant other is one of many amazing things that can bring you two closer together. As a black couple, however, there may be some additional challenges and questions you’ll want to discuss before heading out on your next big trip.
- Observe Environmental Etiquette You’re not in your own backyard or in a tree house. While camping is one of our favorite activities, it can be quite disruptive to those around you if you’re unprepared. Observe environmental etiquette by showing respect to others who may be at campsites around you and be mindful of your surroundings.
Connect with Sonya and Necota
About Southern Soul Thursdays - @SoulThursdays
Witty, thought-provoking, and uplifting, Southern Soul Livestream - Podshow is the program that you’ll invite friends over to watch every week, where you’ll learn about fascinating speakers and get to share in exciting experiences. Tune in each Thursday at 8 pm eastern at SoulThursdays.com to connect with guests from across the generations and to laugh with our "cast of characters," hosts who are as charming as they are talented!
- Support Community Exploratory Journalism
- Shop Southern Soul Official Merchandise
- Purchase Official Show Companion
- Register for Live Episode - “It’s a Whole Vibe!”
Connect with us