Have you ever wondered about the trials and tribulations of publishing your own book? Experts Dr. Robert L. Shepard, Dr. Daryl D. Green and Kaci Diane share their background in writing, publishing, and finding their artistic voices. They provide insi...
Have you ever wondered about the trials and tribulations of publishing your own book? Experts Dr. Robert L. Shepard, Dr. Daryl D. Green and Kaci Diane share their background in writing, publishing, and finding their artistic voices. They provide insights on the most important lessons learned while publishing their own pieces of writing and how they successfully landed their dream jobs.
Kaci Diane, self-publishing expert, shares her experience becoming comfortable with her artistic voice. She explains the importance of authenticity as the foundation of her writing. People can feel when someone is being honest and sincere, as it makes your words easier to connect with. Kaci explains how this concept will always be a staple in her work and encourages other writers to trust the process in their own genuinity.
Dr. Daryl D. Green, an internationally acknowledged author and researcher, and Dr. Robert Louis Shepard, motivational speaker and writer, discuss the word “reposition.” Dr. Shepard defines reposition as taking something and moving it from where it once was to somewhere else. This word symbolizes a change in one's life, and specifically in Dr. Shepard's life, a much-needed career change. Dr. Green resonates with reposition because he does not see retiring as an option for him, so he must reposition his lifestyle to fit around this new discovery. These two doctors encourage young writers and students to consider repositioning as a positive term that they can use to create more meaningful lives.
Tune into this week’s episode of Southern Soul Live Stream to hear from Dr. Daryl D. Green, Dr. Robert L. Shepard, and Kaci Diane about discovering your fulfilling career path. Learn more about life after retirement, the brilliance behind authentically written books, and educating youth on how to land their dream job.
• “Publishing makes you kind of go through things with a fine comb and say, okay, what is useful for others? Like, what is best to share? And what is the best way to do that? What is the best way to tell the story that you're trying to tell?” (03:44-03:51 | Kaci Diane)
• “The first time I read a poem, I was so sad. I was like, this is life. And life is hard. And I was just a hot mess on the stage. And people were hugging me. And I'm like, I'm never not going to come back. I'm always going to be here, y'all are my people now.” (06:00-06:13 | Kaci Diane)
• “Reposition means that you just take something and move it from where it once was to somewhere else. That's exactly what I did. I moved myself from running an organization that I had formed. I had a staff. I had a payroll. I had an office, I had a lease and all of those things. And what I repositioned, I dropped that and just slid right over into the new things that are continually advocating for historically black colleges and universities.” (29:06-29:42 | Dr. Robert L. Shepard)
• “I think writing a book is one of the ways you become an expert instantaneously because people still have a fantasy and respect for authors.” (35:21-35:30 | Dr. Daryl D. Green)
• “Every African American that I know, every black person I know, they should have a tight relationship with God, they should have a personal relationship with God. Because God said, ‘I'm never going to leave you nor forsake you.’ And then he means that it's not about your pension plan. It's not about this. It's not about that. It's about your relationship with God. And if you maintain that, he's going to sustain you over your lifetime.” (1:09:18-1:09:43 | Dr. Robert L. Shepard)
• Dr. Robert L. Shepard,'s book, Fulfilling My Destiny, Step by Step An Autobiography https://www.robertlouisshepard.com/
• Dr. Daryl D. Green’s book, Mapping Out Your Life After Retirement:
• Kaci Diane's books: https://www.kacidiane.com/
Thanks for Groovin’ with Afro.Sheen:
• Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/afrosheen333
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afro.sheen/
About Southern Soul Thursdays - @SoulThursdays
Witty, thought-provoking, and uplifting, Southern Soul Livestream - Podshow is the program that you’ll invite friends over to watch every week, where you’ll learn about fascinating speakers and get to share in exciting experiences. Tune in each Thursday at 8 pm eastern at SoulThursdays.com to connect with guests from across the generations and to laugh with our "cast of characters," hosts who are as charming as they are talented!
Connect with us
Kaci Diane is the author of several books including Growing In Joy, This Heart of Mine, and Like Water. As a copywriter and editor, Kaci is no stranger to getting words on the page and making them meaningful. Her Instagram page, @kacidianewrite, is a testament to her dedication to sharing her unique perspective on life in a way that encourages and inspires. She has a BA in Communications from Oglethorpe University and currently resides in Atlanta, Georgia.
Here are some great episodes to start with. Or, check out episodes by topic.